Every day – Suited also to children –
Prices: €30 per adult / € 20 per child under 12
Check for available posts in our calendar
- For info call us at 3455741330 or contact us to: [email protected]
- Meeting at the office Guide Vulcanologiche Etna Nord – Via Provenzana, 35, Linguaglossa CT
The starting point of the trekking route is along the dirt road that from Piano Provenzana leads to the summit craters of the volcano. The first stop will allow us to see the ruins of the Hotel delle Betulle, the only visible structure between the ones destroyed by the lava flow of October 2002. The route allows to visit and study the several volcanic morphologies, related to the series of eruptions occurred on the northern side of the Etna, particularly the flank eruptions occurred on 10.09.1911 and on 17.06.1923. This last one threatened the city of Linguaglossa. After visiting the particular volcanic structure, called “hornitos”, that in spanish means “small oven”, you go up along the cinder cones of the 2002 eruption (called Bottoniera), till you reach the maximum height of 2.100mt on the edge of the craters, and then you go down inside a sandy channel, to reach the starting point.
- The total length of the route is 4.5 km.
– Tasting of typical local products, offered by the Guide Vulcanologiche Etna Nord team (under request).
Meeting planned at the office “Guide Vulcanologiche Etna Nord”, at Piano Provenzana, 10:00 am.
Departure from Piano Provenzana, height 1.800 mt (Linguaglossa, CATANIA) at 10:30.
Start of the trekking trail.
Visit to the eruptive fractures up to a max. height of 2.050 mt.
Trekking descent towards the starting point.
Min. height at the starting point: 1.800 mt; reached height: max. 2.050 mt.
Total climb uphill: 250 mt (it may vary); climb downhill: 250 mt (it may vary).
Total time: 3h
Total lenght: 4,5
Difficulty: T (Touristic)
Mandatory equipment: :
- Layered outfit (short sleeved t-shirt, long-sleeved thermal t-shirt, sweater or fleece) according to the season.
- Trekking shoes.
- Windbreaker or quilted jacket (according to the season).
- Water – min. 1L (per each).
Possibility of renting shoes/jackets on site.
- trekking sticks
- k-way (rainproof jacket)
- backpack 25/30 lt
- sunscreen/ lip balm
- hat and gloves (according to the season)
- extra socks
- long pants
- rainproof jacket
- extra t-shirt
- Volcano Guide
- Trekking sticks
- Entry/Admission – Piano Provenzana
- Bottled water
- Trekking shoes
- Trekking doesn’t require great preparations on a physical level; it results to be easy and missing of steps extremely difficult. You must be, in any case, careful, since it is volcanic soil, often inconsistent and unstable.
- This trekking is not recommended for those who practice little motor activity.
- The excursion could be subjected to variations at the discretion of the Guides, or it could be interrupted in case of changes of the environmental, climatic or volcanic conditions, so as to undermine the safety of the entire group.
- The total time of the trekking trail will depends on the general pace.
- The excursion will be carried out according to the limits laid down by the ordinance in force.
- The route is suited for children over 6 years old.
- The route consists of the ascent and the walking along the crater edges, this may cause dizziness to susceptible individuals.
- This type of itinerary, in relation to the type, is suited to people in good physical health, not suffering from particular disease (cardio-vascular ones, breathing ones, or hypertension).
- We recommend not to use contact lens, because of the exhaled volcanic gases and of ash. This last one could easily cause problems, if pushed.
- Pregnant women who have passed the third month of pregnancy are not allowed to take part to any excursion activity.
- For the success of the excursion and for its correct carrying out, it’s good to know perfectly your health conditions and, if necessary, let the Guide know about them, in order to reduce the occurrence of any problem and to avoid any risks.
Email: [email protected]
Facebook: Guide Vulcanologiche Etna Nord
Address: Via Provenzana, 35, Ufficio Guide Vulcanologiche Etna Nord, 95015 Linguaglossa CT Tel: +39 3455741330
© Guide Vulcanologiche Etna Nord – Legge 22 aprile 1941, n. 633 Protezione del diritto d’autore e di altri diritti connessi al suo esercizio. Our group is composed of Guides belonging to the Regional College of Alpine and Volcanological Guides of Sicily, the Italian law provides that these professional figures are the only ones qualified to lead groups in active volcanoes’ areas and throughout the island territory (Framework Law of 2 January 1989, n° 6 and Regional Law of 6 April 1996).