Everyday on reservation
Excursion price to the top of the volcano (excluding transport) starting from an altitude of 2900 meters: € 50 per person
Total prices: 100 € per person – 95 € per child under 12
The total price includes: Cable-car tickets (round trip) from 1900mt to 2500mt + 4×4 jeep ticket (one way) up to 2900mt + Authorized Volcano Guide Service
Please note: This excursion provides € 5 discount for children under 12 years.
For info – call our number: +393455741330 or send us an email to:[email protected]
After using the cable till a height of 2500 mt and the jeeps till a height of 2900 mt, it will start the trekking along the path that from Torre del Filosofo leads to the Summit Craters of the Etna, through the lavic fields, issued by the recent activities of the South East Crater. After traveling for about 3 km, at a height of 3250 mt, we will reach the western portion of the summit crater terrace, where it will be possible to admire the stateliness of the Central Crater of the volcano and to understand fully the associated phenomenology. This place, rich in charm, put together the man’s curiosity and the mysterious face of the volcano. The trekking will continue along the crater wall, before starting the downhill on the steep, but funny trip back path, constituted by ash and volcanic scoria, along the southern portion of the summit cone, that will allow us to walk back till a height of 2500 mt for a total of 9,5 km (round-trip). Then You will come back from 2500 mt till Rifugio Sapienza (1900 mt) with the cable.
- Licensed Volcanological Guide
- Trekking sticks
- Insurance in case of accidents
- Entry/Admission – Mount Etna
- Bottled water
- 50 € to be paid at the ticket office for the transports: Cable-car (round trip) from 1900mt to 2500mt + 4×4 jeep (one way) up to 2900mt.
- Trekking shoes
- K-way (rainproof jacket)
Meeting at the parking lot in front of the Esagonal Bar at 08:30.
Departure planned at 9:00.
Initial briefing and buying of the tickets for the cable-car (round-trip) and for the 4×4 jeeps (one way)
Arrival at a height of 2500 mt with the cable.
Departure with 4×4 jeeps towards Torre del Filosofo at a height of 2900 mt.
Start of the trekking route of 3 km till the Summit Craters – altitude 3250 mt.
Trekking downhill for 6,5 km till the arrival point of the cable at a height of 2500 mt.
Trip back to Rifugio Sapienza, 1800 mt.
Minimum altitude of the start of the trekking: 2900 mt – maximum altitude reached: 3300 mt (it may vary) – minimum altitude reached by trekking: 2500 mt.
Total climb uphill: 400 mt (it may vary) – Total climb downhill: 800 mt (it may vary)
Total time: 5 hours
Total kilometers: 9,5 km
Difficulty: For excursionists accustomed to walk at altitude – E (Excursionists)
Useful informations : 1) Possibility of returning back with the 4×4 vehicles from Torre del Filosofo (2900 mt) till the cable-car (2500 mt) with an additional cost of 18€ per pax (at customer’s charge). Mandatory equipment:
- Lunch bag
- Layered outfit (short sleeved t-shirt, long sleeved thermal t-shirt – fleece sweatshirt or sweatshirt)
- Trekking shoes
- Windbreaker or quilted jacket
- Water – minimum 1,5 L (per each)
Possibility of renting shoes/jackets on site
- Trekking sticks
- K-way (rainproof jacket)
- Backpack 25/30 L
- Sunscreen / lip balm
- Hat and gloves (it may vary according to the season)
- Extra socks
- Long pants
- Extra t-shirt
- Handkerchief or bandana (to protect yourself from the dust or the volcanic gases)
- The trekking requires a discrete preparation on a physical level. Being a path that develops at high altitude, it will be easy to accuse symptoms of fatigue. It is required attention, since it is a volcanic active area, subjected to constant gaseous exhalations and composed by a soil constituted by inconsistent and unstable rocks.
- The excursion could be subjected to variations at the discretion of the Guides, or it could be interrupted in case of changes of the environmental, climatic or volcanic conditions, so as to undermine the safety of the entire group.
- Because the continuous and unpredictable evolution of the volcanic activity, the excursions could undergo variations, or, in extreme cases, be cancelled, at the discretion of the guide for safety reasons.
- The guides are entitled to stop the excursion for any reason that could compromise the safety and therefore the physical integrity of an individual or of the entire group.
- The total time of the trekking trail will depends on the general pace.
- The excursion will be carried out according to the limits laid down by the ordinance in force.
- The route is suitable also for children over 7 years old.
- The route consists of the ascent and the walking along the crater edges, this may cause dizziness to susceptible individuals.
- This type of itinerary, in relation to the type, is suited to people in good physical health, not suffering from particular diseases (cardio-vascular ones, breathing ones, or hypertension).
- We recommend not to use contact lens, because of the exhaled volcanic gases and of ash. This last one could easily cause problems, if pushed.
- Pregnant women who have passed the third month of pregnancy are not allowed to take part to any excursion activity.
- For the success of the excursion and for its correct carrying out, it’s good to know perfectly your health conditions and, if necessary, let the Guide know about them, in order to reduce the occurrence of any problems and to avoid any risks.
Guide Vulcanologiche Etna Nord Email: [email protected] Facebook: Guide Vulcanologiche Etna Nord
Address: Via Provenzana, 35, Ufficio Guide Vulcanologiche Etna Nord, 95015 Linguaglossa CT Tel: +39 3455741330
© Guide Vulcanologiche Etna Nord – Legge 22 aprile 1941, n. 633 Protezione del diritto d’autore e di altri diritti connessi al suo esercizio. Our group is composed of Guides belonging to the Regional College of Alpine and Volcanological Guides of Sicily, the Italian law provides that these professional figures are the only ones qualified to lead groups in active volcanoes’ areas and throughout the island territory (Framework Law of 2 January 1989, n° 6 and Regional Law of 6 April 1996).