Everyday – suited also to children –
Prices: 25€ per adult – 19€ per child under 12
The price included: ticket for the 4×4 jeep (round-trip) + Licensed Volcanological Guide
Check for available posts in our calendarWARNING: service ID(s) not found. Please check the shortcode syntax and ensure at least one of the specified services is active.
- For info – call our number: +393455741330 o send us an email to: [email protected]
Departures planned everyday from Piano Provenzana from 10:00 to 14:30 with the help of the 4×4 jeeps. The first stop will allow us to see the ruins of the Hotel delle Betulle, the only visible structure between the ones destroyed by the lava flow of October 2002. At a height of about 1900 mt, we will start the trekking on the lava flows and on the explosive products of the 2002 eruption. The ring-route of the trekking will allow us to walk along the edges of the craters and to admire the morphology, called “a bottoniera“, typical of the lateral volcanic eruptions. After reaching the summit (at a height of about 2050 mt) it will be possible to enjoy the magnificent view of the eruptive theatre and of the panorama from the Sicilian to the Calabrian coast (the visibility could change according to the weather conditions). It will follow a little downhill along a sandy slope till the arrival at the jeeps, available for the trip back to Piano Provenzana.
- For those who want it: Possibility of returning back on foot till Piano Provenzana.
Meeting planned at Guide Vulcanologiche Etna Nord office at Piano Provenzana.
Departure from Piano Provenzana (1800 mt) with the 4×4 jeeps.
Start of the trekking.
Visit to the eruptive fractures till a maximum height of 2040 mt.
Trekking downhill till the starting point.
Minimum altitude of the start of the trekking: 1900 mt – maximum altitude reached: 2050 mt.
Total climb uphill: 150 mt (it may vary) – Total climb downhill: 150 mt (it may vary)
Total time: 1:30/2 hours
Total kilometers: 3,5
Difficulty: T (Touristic)
- Layered outfit (short sleeved t-shirt, long sleeved thermal t-shirt – fleece sweatshirt or sweatshirt)- (it may vary according to the season)
- Trekking shoes
- Windbreaker or quilted jacket (it may vary according to the season)
- Water – minimum 1,5 L
Possibility of renting shoes/jackets on site.
- Trekking sticks
- K-way (rainproof jacket)
- Backpack 25/30 L
- lip balm
- Hat and gloves (according to the season)
- Extra socks
- Long pants
- Rainproof jacket
- Extra t-shirt
- Trekking doesn’t require great preparations on a physical level; it results to be easy and missing of steps extremely difficult. You must be, in any case, careful, since it is volcanic soil, often inconsistent and unstable
- The trekking is not recommended for those who practice little motor activity.
- The excursion could be subjected to variations at the discretion of the Guides, or it could be interrupted in case of changes of the environmental, climatic or volcanic conditions, so as to undermine the safety of the entire group.
- The total time of the trekking trail will depends on the general pace.
- The excursion will be carried out according to the limits laid down by the ordinance in force.
- The route is suitable also for children over 6 years old.
- The route consists of the ascent and the walking along the crater edges, this may cause dizziness to susceptible individuals.
- This type of itinerary, in relation to the type, is suited to people in good physical health, not suffering from particular disease (cardio-vascular ones, breathing ones, or hypertension).
- We recommend not to use contact lens, because of the exhaled volcanic gases and of ash. This last one could easily cause problems, if pushed.
- Pregnant women who have passed the third month of pregnancy are not allowed to take part to any excursion activity.
- For the success of the excursion and for its correct carrying out, it’s good to know perfectly your health conditions and, if necessary, let the Guides know about them, in order to reduce the occurrence of any problem and to avoid any risks.
Via Provenzana, 35, Ufficio Guide Vulcanologiche Etna Nord, 95015 Linguaglossa CT
Tel: +39 3455741330
© Guide Vulcanologiche Etna Nord – Legge 22 aprile 1941, n. 633
Protezione del diritto d’autore e di altri diritti connessi al suo esercizio.
Our group is composed of Guides belonging to the Regional College of Alpine and Volcanological Guides of Sicily, the Italian law provides that these professional figures are the only ones qualified to lead groups in active volcanoes’ areas and throughout the island territory
(Framework Law of 2 January 1989, n° 6 and Regional Law of 6 April 1996).