Everyday on reservation (minimum 4 people)
Prices: 35€ per adult – 25€ per child under 12
Check for available posts in our calendar
WARNING: service ID(s) not found. Please check the shortcode syntax and ensure at least one of the specified services is active.
- For info – call our number: +393455741330 or send us an email to:[email protected]
The starting point of the excursion is the square in front of Rifugio Citelli, at a height of 1740 mt. The starting part of the route will develop inside an amazing wood, consisting of plant specimens unique in its kind, like the birch (betula aetnesis – endemic species of Etna). The vegetation will be interrupted by channels, smoothed by snow melting waters; after about 1 km and half, we will reach the valley that welcomes inside the Grotta di Serracozzo (1851 mt), a lava flow tunnel generated during the 1971 eruption. After that, going upper, we will reach the panoramic point called Viewpoint of Serracozzo (2100 mt), from which it is possible to admire the Valle del Bove and the Summit Craters. The downhill will be done inside some sandy channels till the starting point.
Meeting at Guide Vulcanologiche Etna Nord office at Piano Provenzana, 9:30 am.
Arrival by car at the square of Rifugio Citelli (1741 mt) at about 9:50.
Start of the trekking on the path n.723.
Visit to the Grotta di Serracozzo (1840 mt).
Uphill to the Viewpoint of Serracozzo till a maximum height of 2170 mt.
Trekking downhill till the starting point.
Minimum altitude of the start of the trekking: 1741 mt – maximum altitude reached: 2170 mt (it may vary)
Total climb uphill: 500 mt (it may vary) – Total climb downhill: 430 mt (it may vary)
Total time: 4 hours
Total kilometres: 6
Difficulty: T/E (Touristic – Excursionistic)
The Grotta di Serracozzo
- Layered outfit (short sleeved t-shirt, long sleeved thermal t-shirt – fleece sweatshirt or sweatshirt)
- Trekking shoes
- Front lamp / Torch
- K-way (rainproof jacket)
- Windbreaker or quilted jacket
- Water – minimum 1,5 L
- Backpack 25/30 L
- trekking sticks
- lip balm
- extra socks
- hat and gloves
- long pants
- rainproof jacket
- extra t-shirt
- handkerchief or bandana (to protect yourself from the dust)
- Possibility of renting shoes/jackets on site.
- Rock helmet provided by the Guide.
- In case of eruption, it will be possible to enjoy night excursions.
- Trekking requires a moderate preparation on a physical level; it results to be easy and missing of steps extremely difficult. You must be, in any case, careful, since it is volcanic soil and because of the presence of exposed sections in the Viewpoint of Serracozzo area and along the north eastern wall of Valle del Bove.
- The hypogeum environment could cause some claustrophobic problems; if it should show up, it is immediately necessary to communicate it to the Guide.
- The route consists of the ascent and the walking close to exposed sections (ridges, margins) and this may cause dizziness to susceptible individuals.
- The excursion could be subjected to variations at the discretion of the Guides, or it could be interrupted in case of changes of the environmental, climatic or volcanic conditions, so as to undermine the safety of the entire group.
- The total time of the trekking trail will depends on the general pace.
- The excursion will be carried out according to the limits laid down by the ordinance in force.
- The route is suitable also for children over 7 years old.
- This type of itinerary, in relation to the type, is suited to people in good physical health, not suffering from particular disease (cardio-vascular ones, breathing ones, or hypertension).
- We recommend not to use contact lens, because of the exhaled volcanic gases and of ash. This last one could easily cause problems, if pushed.
- Pregnant women who have passed the third month of pregnancy are not allowed to take part to any excursion activity.
- For the success of the excursion and for its correct carrying out, it’s good to know perfectly your health conditions and, if necessary, let the Guides know about them, in order to reduce the occurrence of any problem and to avoid any risks.
Guide Vulcanologiche Etna Nord
Email: [email protected]
Facebook: Guide Vulcanologiche Etna Nord
Via Provenzana, 35, Ufficio Guide Vulcanologiche Etna Nord, 95015 Linguaglossa CT
Tel: +39 3455741330
© Guide Vulcanologiche Etna Nord – Legge 22 aprile 1941, n. 633
Protezione del diritto d’autore e di altri diritti connessi al suo esercizio.
Our group is composed of Guides belonging to the Regional College of Alpine and Volcanological Guides of Sicily, the Italian law provides that these professional figures are the only ones qualified to lead groups in active volcanoes’ areas and throughout the island territory
(Framework Law of 2 January 1989, n° 6 and Regional Law of 6 April 1996).